Children and Young People's Occupational Therapy Service


Applying for a Council Home? You may be seeking to move to a council owned home for many reasons. These include:

  • Issues with overcrowding
  • Financial reasons such as changes in income or debt
  • The current home cannot be adapted
  • Family/marriage breakdown
A graphic detailing four reasons to look for a council home. These include, financial issues, overcrowding in current home, a change of family dynamic or a marriage breakdown.

If you have a child with additional needs such as a physical disability or medical needs, you may be able to provide further information to the housing department which may enable more appropriate housing options (where available).

  • Ensure the home has or can accommodate specific necessary features such as wheelchair access.
  • Reflect urgency of need relating to a medical issue or disability.
  • Provide further clarification on why a change of home is necessary.

In the first instance, you must apply online to join the housing register.

Should support to clarify your child’s needs be required, such as physical needs, accessibility or mobility, you will be directed to request an Occupational Therapy assessment referred to as ‘Housing Options’ or ‘Health and Housing’. This assessment is not carried out by the Children and Young People’s Occupational Therapy service and is arranged for you by the housing service.