The hearing support team
The Hearing Support Team is a specialist teaching service that supports children and young people with a hearing loss, from birth to 25 years.
We support children and young people at home and in their education setting.
- qualified Teachers of the Deaf (ToDs) – teachers who have completed further specialist training and gained the mandatory qualification to teach and support children with hearing loss
- specialist teaching assistants (TAs) and specialist higher level teaching assistants (HLTAs) – teaching assistants with extensive knowledge and experience in supporting pupils with hearing losses
- educational audiologist – a qualified Teacher of the Deaf, who has completed further specialist training in educational audiology
- audiology technicians – specialists preparing, auditing and servicing assistive listening devices, such as radio aids and soundfield systems
- sign language tutor – specialist HLTA with additional qualification in British Sign Language and rich personal experience as a person with hearing loss
How we can help
- Provide support and information for parents/carers
- Training and advice for professionals working with children and young people with hearing losses in educational settings
- ongoing assessment of needs, to inform the intervention and where required, for the statutory EHC Plans
- interventions to support the achievement of individual targets/EHCP outcomes
- acoustic evaluations of classrooms/educational environments
- provision of assistive listening devices (radio aids, soundfield systems, remote microphones, etc).
- close collaboration with Health (clinical audiologists, speech and language therapists, health visitors, etc.)
- social events for children with hearing losses and their families
- targeted sign support from our BSL tutor
- provide LTP (Listen Talk and Play group for the families with pre-school children with Hearing Loss
How to access the service
talk to the Special Educational Needs & Disability Coordinator (SENDCo) at your child’s school or setting,
Find out more about Longwill School for the Deaf (primary) www.longwill.bham.sch.uk
Find out more about Braidwood Trust School for the Deaf (secondary) www.braidwood.bham.sch.uk