There are a number of benefits that may be available to support children, young people and their families if they have a special educational need or disability.  

Disability Living Allowance(DLA)

Disability Living Allowance for Children (DLA) is a tax-free benefit for children under 16 to help with the extra costs caused by long-term ill health or a disability

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a tax-free benefit for people aged 16 or over who have not reached state pension age. It can help with the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or a disability.

Employment and Support Allowance

You may be able to get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you cannot work because of illness or disability.


Carer’s Allowance is extra money to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs.

You could also get Carer’s Credit so there will not be any gaps in your National Insurance record if you have to take on caring responsibilities.

Disability Student Allowance (DSA)

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance. You will not need to repay DSAs.

How much you get depends on your individual needs – not your household income.

You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, for example a computer if you need one because of your disability.
  • non-medical helpers.
  • extra travel because of your disability.
  • other disability-related costs of studying.

Read about eligibility for this benefit and how to apply.