Travel to school or college
Most children get to school with their parents or carers, or on their own if they’re older. This may not be possible for some children or young people because:
- their school is too far away
- they’re unable to walk
- they cannot walk to school, even though it is within the normal walking distance of two miles (if aged 5 -7) or three miles (if aged 8 or over),
- they’re not able to use public transport in the same way as other children
- they attend a school where there are no arrangements for boarding at or near the school
- their religion or belief means that the nearest suitable school is outside the distances.
If your child or young person has Special Educational Needs or a Disability (SEND) and has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan, or other specified needs, you can apply for free school travel assistance to help them to get to their nearest school or college by using the forms below.
For general enquiries or to give feedback about your child or young person’s transport service, please contact the Home to School Transport service Monday to Friday, 7:00am – 5.30pm.
Phone: 0121 303 4955
For more information read our Parents Transport Guide:
You can read our Home to School Transport newsletter here: