Parents and carers play an important role in the education of their child.
Some of their responsibilities are as follows:
- Having regular contact with the school or setting.
- Communicating effectively with teachers; informing them of any concerns regarding their child, school or setting.
- Ensuring their child attends their school or setting regularly.
- Supporting their child with home learning.
- Fulfilling duties under the home-school agreement.
- Respecting professionals.
- Taking part in reviewing their child’s progress and in making decisions about their education.
- Accompanying their child to any interview, medical appointment, or assessment.
What can parents and carers expect?:
- The wishes of their child will be listened to.
- To be informed by a school or setting when they start providing additional help to their child.
- To be consulted on decisions that affect their child.
- A copy of their child’s learning plan/SEN Support Provision Plan/Education, Health and Care Plan.